There are 160 housing units registered in Mississauga. Eighty-seven percent of these units are single-detached dwellings, with apartments and other multi-unit structures accounting for the other thirteen percent.
To provide housing options for safe, affordable and energy efficient housing for our members in a manner that is unbiased, transparent and fair.
Having a structured Housing Policy will provide Chief and Council, the Housing Committee and the Housing staff with a framework to deliver the Housing Program to all Band members in a manner that is unbiased, transparent and fair.
In conjunction with Chief and Council, the Housing Committee, and Staff the following principles have been established. These Guiding Principles will remain to accommodate our First Nation membership:
• Chief & Council has delegated the responsibility for most housing related matters to Housing Committee and Housing Staff;
• Build safe, affordable and energy efficient housing for our band members;
• Develop a proper maintenance program to ensure a minimum level of health and safety;
• To extend the useful life of our existing housing stock;
• Create local employment and provide training opportunities for our members to develop certified trade skills;
• Develop housing for Band members;
• To promote homeownership by providing eligible members with access to affordable and competitive mortgages through the Market Based Housing Program.
Walking in Balance